Re: Build your own Motherboards (was Re: AMD K6 233 Cpu 465 BogoMips??)

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 15:46:33 +1200

On Sat, Sep 05, 1998 at 11:36:27PM -0400, Alex Buell wrote:

> I've just checked and a Xeon w/1024k L2 cache costs something like
> $3300.

Except a Xeon is loads faster...

I think you'll find a P.II 266/512 is faster than a PPro200 for most
practical purposes. Yes, the L2 is slower, but the core is faster and
the L2 cache is generally bigger (most PPro cheaply available are
only 256k L2 cache).

I was looking at PPro prices recently and have decided its cheaper to
get a dual P.II 400 or so, plus I can use DIMMS which are much
cheaper...

-cw