Re: patch for fs max name length

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 14:13:13 -0400

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Looks like 2.3 material to me.
>
> Also, there are filesystems that have a "soft" length limit. For example,
> the msdosfs name length restrictions are certainly much more complex than
> just a single number, and as such I'm not at all convinced that this is
> something that the VFS layer should care about..

Hmm, I was hoping this would come in under the "code cleanup" category,
and performing the check at the VFS layer will provide a security
benefit in case some filesystem has omitted a length check.

Filesystems with "soft" limits still probably have an operational
maximum, and if need be the VFS layer check can be disabled by setting
the limit to a large number for the fs in question.

So I think the change can be made with no breakage and will provide
enough benefit to be worthwhile ...

Regards,
Bill