Re: VIA chipsets all bad? I think not.

Mark Gray (markgray@iago.nac.net)
07 Sep 1998 09:21:16 -0400

Trever Adams <highlander@teleteam.net> writes:

> I have an Epox MVP3-E and C motherboards. They both work great. One is
> a server, the other is my personal workstation. Mine never crashes,
> never does disk corruption, etc. I have DMA for hda and hdb turned on
> (secondary channel is off). I have played sounds while using mdir etc.
> Never a crash never a corruption (2.1.119... started with this
> motherboard in 2.1.115).
>
> The VIA chipset on it supposedly has all the previous VIA bugs fixed.
> This is the MVP3 chipset... _NOT_ the VP3.
>
> I have seen calls requesting VIA being black listed as a whole... I do
> not think this is wise as apparently the MVP3 is great.
>
> Just my not so humble (and possibly misinformed) opinion
>
> Trever Adams
> highlander@teleteam.net

What actually appears to be happening is that Linux is being optimised
more and more to the behavior of specific processors and chipsets.
(Closer to the metal.) While this is the only way to get optimal
performance out of the new features offered by the latest processors
and chipsets, there is a great danger in this --- we may be painting
ourselves into a corner where Linux is totally unusable on the next
generation of cheap off-the-shelf computers. (I notice more and more
usenet articles complaining about installation disks unable to boot on
the latest computers (K6-2/300-350 3DX lately --- and no helpful
followup articles posted that I have noticed so far.)

This is only an observation, not really a complaint --- those of us
with off the main stream chipsets and processors need to dig into the
documentation for our hardware and contribute if we want to get
optimal performance out of our computers.