Re: warning patch for 2.1.120 dcache.c

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 18:54:04 +1200

On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 12:39:44AM -0400, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> I'm worried that alot of people will have hardware compatibility
> probs with 2.2. Consider the VIA dma bug, how many more like that
> are there, they we just havn't notices because no one with the
> nessassary weird hardware combo to bright it out is running 2.1?

Linux makes marginal hardware break... I've got hardware that works
100% under NT, but under Linux, bad things happen.

Some of this breakage has acceptable work-arounds, and if these
devices are know, when can black list them.

I didn't follow the VIA thread, but I suspect we can black-list DMA
for VIA chipsets.

-cw