Re: [offtopic] Re: I2c was: Cobalt Micro (was Re: Build your own Motherboards)

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:33:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Alex Buell wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > Would it be possible to crack open my TV, find the tuner area, locate the
> > > I2C, hook it to the computer and sniff it, then use the computer to
> > > control the TV? (same for microwave and other such devices)?
> >
> > In theory. Most TV's have several i2c busses. Or you could just buy a tv card
>
> Also, it's how you can crack encrypted cable tv signals. Most of them uses
> a shitty encryption algorithm. 8) Or is that not possible?

Well, at least where I am, It's not 'encrypted' at all. They invert the
polarity of the video sync signal and leave the audio go through
unaffected.

This reminds me of a cute hack I did once:

A friend had a modified VidoCipher board in his satalite reciever. It
worked nice, once a month he had to key in a bunch of DES keys to decrypt
the audio on the various channels. He got video without any codes. I dont
know why the thing couldn't just sniff the air for the DES codes.

Anyways, this worked nicely until the channels started changing their
audio codes several times a month. After that, it stoped working. :(

He also had cable TV.

So I hooked up the audio outs from a cable tv in another room to the main
TV and flipped to the approiate channel on SAT. You got the sound from
cable (where it's not encrypted) and the video from SAT (which the VC
board took care of)..