Re: warning patch for 2.1.120 dcache.c

Pat St. Jean (psj@cgmlarson.com)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 12:42:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
>> I didn't follow the VIA thread, but I suspect we can black-list DMA
>> for VIA chipsets.
>>

>No you may not do a generic blacklist.

Amen to that! I've got a VP-1 board with a K6-233 at home. It works just
fine with a mix of IDE and SCSI, serving a PC (samba) that I use for
development.

If something's only partially implemented (like DMA), just trap it and
don't allow that feature to be used. Don't throw the baby out with the
bathwater!

Pat in Houston

--
Patrick St. Jean              '97 XLH 883                psj@cgmlarson.com
Programmer & Systems Administrator                    +1 713-977-4177 x115