Re: SMP and 2.1.120 and APIC

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:15:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Michael Kremer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ok...I have 2.1.117 running on my Dual P133 running on an Asus Bord.

Good.

> I don't know whats wrong now...I got myself 2.1.120. compiling the
> kernel works great --------
> (how do i get it to use both CPUs for compiling ? I read it somewhere
> during vacation and believe it is a switch to use with make to get it
> running multithreaded, but i can't find the article anywhere, which I
> probably left on the Canary Islands :-) )-------------

edit the make file. Change the line:

make = make

make = make -j<num cpus + 1>

> Then, when booting the kernel it says Errors with APIC....PINs.....not
> connected...kernelpanic...something with swapper....of course this
> doesn't help you much. But you might already have a clue...since 117
> worked fine.

Yes, Linus was a complete dolt between 2.1.120-pp3 and 2.1.120.

He moved a function call. This broke smp on Pentiums (not PIIs like he
runs).

To fix it:

edit init/main.c
move check_bugs BELOW smp_init()
save and recompile.

> I just started using linux 2 years ago and i'm not really into it, but I
> think this might help you guys with some probs you have to get my
> feedback...Also I heard of a vanilla patch..

Thanks for your feedback. I hope the above helps you (it will).

>I think you need the output (eip and so on)...also i get the 118 and 119
> Kernels...and check those out for my Config..It might turn out that one
> of them works since the problem you are discussing really seems to have
> something to do with my Prob.

nope. We know about it. But please to report problems. If it turned out
that you were the only person using a P5 in SMP with 2.1 and didn't
report it this problem would continue into 2.2.

> I'm sorry if i bother or anything, since your knowledge is awesome in
> that mettier, i just though i could help you guys a little, since you
> are helping me a lot giving me this OS

It's important for people to help out. That's what makes Linux so stable.

> I read through stuff i found using Dejanews, where Alan and Linus
> discussed stuff about Problems with 2.1.118 and was amazed....I start to
> enjoy Linux more and more....you guys are doing a great job.

I think they are awesome too.

> I work as and Amin in an Internet-Cafe during leisure time and while
> writing my Diploma Thesis in Aachen as an Admin for SGI-NT-95 Network.
> And I tell you....the first guy here has Linux runnig on his i386 wkst
> fulltime :-) I'm thinking of deplying it (including KDE) in the
> I-Cafe...

Would not be a bad idea. You can defantly lock Linux down more then you
can windows (so people can't munge the setup).

> ok....i'll get those kernelpatches now try these.
> Is it worth that i sent you my output befor kernelpanic?

Normally yes. You need to run the output through ksymopps so that it makes
sence to us. The FAQ for this mailing list has instructions on how..

--
Gregory Maxwell