Re: progress on UMSDOS

Matija Nalis (mnalis@public.srce.hr)
Tue, 8 Sep 98 19:16 MET DST

Hi Bill
In linux-kernel@vger, you wrote:

>I've had a little time for UMSDOS hacking recently and am starting to
>make some headway. Most of the inode and dentry leaks seem to be plugged
>up, and I've been able to mount cleanly, do various fs operations
>including untarring a file, and then unmount without busy inodes.

Uh. I wish you contacted me first to avoid duplicating efforts. Were you
working against 2.1.120 (which have pretty large UMSDOS patch from me in) or
against something earlier ? Note that I also have many changes (cleaned most
of the write part - hardlinks and rename are bothering me currently) after
2.1.120.

>So far my testing has been confined to just using it as a pass-through
>for msdos fs, i.e. no special linux files. This is a hardly sufficient
>but necessary first step, and hopefully the other operations will be
>working soon.

Yes, this is how I began fixing it :-)
pure-MSDOS should be clean in 2.1.120, except for rmdir (which is not
correct for non-empty dirs). Most of UMSDOS style is also cleaned.

>My current patch is probably larger than the sources (200K+), so I'll
>probably post a tar.gz file when it's a little further along.

Best regards,
Matija

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.