Re: warning patch for 2.1.120 dcache.c

Jeffrey Hundstad (jeffrey.hundstad@mankato.msus.edu)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 12:58:11 -0500 (CDT)

I have hardware that is already blacklisted for Linux. ...This
blacklisted hardware works fine with my current configuration, so I
turn on the feature that was disabled AFTER the boot. No harm done.

Consider these two senerios:

1. Device gets blacklisted while not deserving it.

Consequence: Hardware doesn't perform to its maximum.
Fix: Test the blacklisted feature, if it works turn the feature on
after the boot, if not leave feature turned off.

2. Device is not blacklisted when it should be.

Consequence: a. Hardware fails during boot, can't continue
b. Hardware fails silently, corruption occurs.
Fix: a. throw out bad hardware, replace.
b. after months of wondering what's wrong, throw out bad
hardware, replace.

Which senerio seems to be easier to live with. In my opinion 1 seems
easier to cope with on the downside. Of course the natural argument
is to blacklist all possible problems then whitelist known good
combinations... This smells like kernel bloat to me.

-- Jeffrey Hundstad