Re: Looking for definition of inw and/or __inw on x86

pacman (pacman-kernel@cqc.com)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 23:29:52 -0500 (EST)

H. Peter Anvin writes the following:

>Followup to: <00ad01bddb0a$f525e820$04c809c0@Fake.Domain.com>
>By author: "Anthony Barbachan" <barbacha@trill.cis.fordham.edu>
>In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
>>
>> __inwc. This leads to another question, why in the world are the INLINED
>> functions in asm-i386/io.h declared as extern?

>To keep gcc from generating a copy of the function body for every
>single module just in case some luser compiles without -O. It makes

Why is it necessarily an error to attempt to call a non-inlined version of
these functions? What's stopping us from putting a normal, extern, copy of
inb() and friends into arch/i386/lib/io.c, and into libc for the benefit of
those using them from outside the kernel? What you're saying only makes sense
if we accept your assertion that it is an error to compile without
optimization. If you believe that, why don't you submit a patch to {gcc,egcs}
to remove the -O0 option and make -O1 the default? That would take care of
all of us lusers who think we have the right to choose our CFLAGS as we see
fit...

Hoping your next message will be more enlightening,

--
Alan Curry