Re: Dual Pentium won't boot from IDE HD

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Wed, 09 Sep 1998 15:50:26 +1000

On Tue, 08 Sep 1998 14:29:03 -0700,
Stephen Williams <steve@icarus.com> wrote:
>I have a dual-pentium system, I just installed RedHat 5.1 (so that means
>2.0.34 kernel) but the machine won't boot from the IDE disk. It boots
>from the floppy just fine, and it boots NT from the SCSI disk just fine,
>but when I configure the BIOS to boot from the IDE disk (Primary on IDE#2)
>I get "LI" and it hangs.

The start of your /etc/lilo.conf should look like this.

boot=/dev/hdx <===
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
root=current
read-only
disk=/dev/hdx <===
bios=0x80
image=...

replace hdx with the name of your IDE disk, as listed by Linux when
booting from floppy. The magic incantation

disk=/dev/hdx
bios=0x80

tells lilo where the BIOS boot disk is instead of guessing.