Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
9 Sep 1998 00:18:41 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.6t0rtm$9ao$1@work.noris.de>,
Matthias Urlichs <smurf@noris.de> wrote:

>IMHO, we should start with specifying what the solution should look like.
>
>- access to normal files must be identical whether or not the file has
> attributes or whatever (i.e. no AppleSingle solution where the metadata
> for a file reside at the beginning of said file, no "the file's data are
> really in the file 'filename/data'"),
>- a normal recursive directory copy (via NFS, or whatever) will also copy
> the metadata
>- there should be no visual clutter (i.e., no AppleDouble solution, where
> the metadata for "foo" reside in "%foo" or "foo.res")
>- no kernel hack, because the solution needs to work on systems where we
> cannot _do_ any kernel hacks.

I dunno. A _well done_ kernel hack would be an encouragement to
the others.

____
david parsons \bi/ <subliminal>new directory flag</subliminal>
\/