Re: 2.1.119 FourPort serial interrupt probing broken

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:26:00 +0200

thanks for your detailed answer!

as long as you think that adding more "unneeded" instructions might cause
problems and lockups for others, I'm happy to specify IRQ in startup
(but if there would be a save way for everyone getting _my_ card
th be detected automatically, well then... ;-)

On Sep 08, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 11:33:44 +0200
> From: Harald Koenig <koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>
>
> and I don't like having to hard wire IRQs in startup scripts if possible
> (the IRQ for this card changed quite some times in the last years because
> of conflicts with other hardware, depending on configuration),
> that reminds me too much for stupid CONFIG.SYS :-(
>
> The problem is that IRQ probing on ISA bus cards is a real kludge,
> because it's not something for which the ISA or ISA cards are really
> designed to handle.
>
> So getting something which works really is a "catch as catch can" type
> situation. Etienne Lorrain, who originally redid the IRQ probing
> routine, removed a lot of what he thought was unneeded crap from the
> IRQ probing routines. And if you simply look at the paper specs, and
> how a reasonable person might expect the ISA and ISA bus cards and
> UART-clone chips to work, they would indeed by unnecessary.
>
> I put back some of the "unneeded" instructures over his objections so
> that it would work on more hardware cards, but AST Fourports are no
> longer on my development machine (they are on my 386 box which isn't
> particularly swift at doing compiles).
>
> In some cases, however, adding some of these "unneeded" instructions
> have also caused some people's systems to lock up or fail during the
> autodetection process. So as we try to make the driver work for some
> systems, we may end up making it fail for other people's systems.
>
> This is one of the reasons why I'm not particularly thrilled about
> promising any more functionality in the automatic IRQ detection, and why
> I strongly encourage people to hard-code the IRQ's in the setup file. I
> know that its inconvenient, but that's the nature of the ISA hardware
> that we have to work with.
>
> - Ted
>
> P.S. There's a similar issue with the 16750 autodetection code and some
> badly-done no-name UART built into an internal modem. I got one
> complaint from someone who has one of these cheap internal modems which
> was correctly detected in the Linux 2.0 kernel, but in the Linux 2.1
> kernel, it is falsely detected as a 16750. Unfortunately, there's not
> much I can do about things like this except to tell people to have the
> boot scripts run the setserial command to hardcode the UART. I at least
> have a specification sheet for the 16750; I don't have a spec sheet for
> this no-name modem. Trying to correctly autodetect all of the
> incompatible, cheap'n'cheasy hardware out there is a pretty much
> impossible task.

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\