Re: Net routing hosed on 2.1.120?

Steve Tate (srt@silo.csci.unt.edu)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:30:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, David S. Miller wrote:

> You have a 3com card in your machine, the 3c59x driver was mistakedly
> hosed in 2.1.120, just replace drivers/net/3c59x.c with the one in
> previous kernel versions and you'll be ok again.

Yep, that fixed up the immediate networking problem. Thanks (and
thanks to the other two who responded).

Now unfortunately, I'm back at square one with the original problem I
was having that made me want to upgrade to 120 in the first place!

I can reliably make the kernel crash on both 117 and the modified 120.
It seems to be some interference with networking because my program
will cause both of these to crash when run over a network connection,
but the machine seems totally stable if networking is turned off and I
run the program from the console.

Here's the error message I get:

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 000000e0
current->tss.cr3 = 1ff2c00, %cr3 = 1ff2c000
*pde = 00000000

I'm trying to figure out from the FAQ how to get more information than
that. If someone wants to help me track down what's going on, send me
e-mail. I've got lots of experience kernel hacking (under SVR2,
OSF/1, and even the Linux PPP drivers have some of my patches in
them), but I don't have a lot of time these days for doing serious
investigation. I'd like to get this machine up and running so I can
get back to my real work --- to that end I might just try using a
different kind of network card, but it would be nice to get this one
running....

--

Steve Tate srt@cs.unt.edu