Re: Net routing hosed on 2.1.120?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
9 Sep 1998 20:54:55 GMT

In article <Pine.OSF.4.02A.9809091023240.3989-100000@zaphod.csci.unt.edu>,
Steve Tate <srt@silo.csci.unt.edu> wrote:

>Now unfortunately, I'm back at square one with the original problem I
>was having that made me want to upgrade to 120 in the first place!
>
>I can reliably make the kernel crash on both 117 and the modified 120.
>It seems to be some interference with networking because my program
>will cause both of these to crash when run over a network connection,
>but the machine seems totally stable if networking is turned off and I
>run the program from the console.

I'd ask you if possible to try out a intel EEpro100 based network card,
or perhaps one of the tulip-based ones. The 3com drivers apparently
have problems, and I'd like to know if the machine is stable with a
driver that I know to be stable (the eepro100 in particular I have
personally used a lot on SMP enviroments, and the tulip-based ones
enough to make me feel comfortable with them).

However, once you have gotten a stable setup and thus made sure that the
only difference really is the network card, I'd still ask you to
continue to test out the broken card for a while. I'd like to know why
the driver appears broken in SMP environments. The kernel has a README
about trying to decipher any oopses you get..

Linus