Re: [offtopic] Re: I2c was: Cobalt Micro (was Re: Build your own Mo therboards)

Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:58:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> > The IIC bus has no arbitration capability at all. One checks a busy
> > bit to see if it is ready. If not busy, one sends data (address first).
> > The receiving machine ACKs every bus state change.
>
> Untrue.
>
> Bus arbitration in a multi-master environment is clearly defined by
> Philips, and as Daniel had described. There is further arbitration
> possible (clock handovers, etc) and they are fully defined in the
> whitepaper, "The I2C Bus and How to Use it" by Philips.

I tell you that it is absolutely true. Philips ignores that different
masters operate asynchronous to each other. The data manual diatribe
is absolute guess-work. They could not possibly have made anything work.

Unfortunately, I had to make these garbage chips work in a multi-master
environment because hardware engineers believed the data sheets. In our
Anatom CAT Scanner, marketed by Philips incidentally, we use 3 different
IIC buses with, I forget the exact number, over 10 devices per bus.
I am definitely an expert in getting this garbage to work.

If you had ever used this garbage, you would not have sent me a response
starting with "Untrue". I don't lie.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.118 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).