Re: No automatic reaping of modules

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:39:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Fuzzy Fox wrote:
> Anthony Ginepro <ang@mail.dotcom.fr> wrote:
> >
> > My modules aren't removed automatically from kernel, even if I do
> > 'rmmod -a', absolutely none is removed.
>
> I noticed this, too, but I found that if I run the command twice, the
> modules are removed. Strange, no?

That's how it should work. This allows one to put 'rmmod -a'
in ones crontab and then the system will remove unused
modules after they've been unused for 1 to 2 intervals.

This avoids 'module-thrashing', where a module is removed
and reinstalled immediately afterwards because something
is using the module every XX seconds.

Rik.