Re: UVFAT? (Yes, I remember this being kicked around a while ago.)

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:08:25 +0200

> From: "Slyglif Cain" <slyglif@magerealm.com>
> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:09:46 -0700
> Subject: Re: UVFAT? (Yes, I remember this being kicked around a while ago.)
>
> From: Oliver Xymoron <oxymoron@waste.org>
> Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:33:44 -0500 (CDT)
>
> > On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Eric Princen wrote:
> >
> > > Question: Is there a UVFAT type thing to allow permissions and
> > > user.group on fat32 partitions? Was I just ignorant and missed
> > > it?
> > > Question2: Does the massive UMSDOS patch address this and I am
> > > merely wasting everybody's time?
> >
> > I don't know the answer to this, but perhaps a better approach
> > would be to create a Unix-on-top-of-* FS so that you can have
> > Unix-like semantics on any filesystem, including FAT, VFAT, HPFS,
> > HFS, SMB, NCPFS, CD-ROMs without using Rockridge, etc..
>
> Actually, maybe something similar to Rockridge is the way to go. If
> in each directory you put a TRANS.TBL file which could contain the
> native <-> long case-sensitive filenames, and another file, say
> PERMS.TBL, which contains the permissions, ownership, and other
> attributes that need to be stored. If this was done, it would be
> possible to overlay this on pretty much any FS. Not the most elegant
> solution, but it would be useful.

Yuck. Don't bother wasting your time on it, IMO. If you want to install
without repartitioning, then use the loopback driver and an initrd.
Don't try to inflict unix semantics on filesystems that aren't designed
for it, just be grateful you can access them. For details of how to do
it, see the loopback-root howto, http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are