Re: make -j

Sang Kang (skang@kahuna.sdsu.edu)
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 00:33:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, David Schleef wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 10:02:58PM -0700, Sang Kang wrote:
> > Hello kernel hackers,
> >
> > I've been trying to compile the kernel with 'make -j' option for
> > some more cpu utilization. After a short while, the linux box
> > rebooted itself. But some people were successful with this
> > experiment (it happened on both 2.0.36(latest beta) and 2.1.120)
> > Can someone shed me a light ?
>
> Read the make man page.

anyone doesn't?

> Try a 'make -j 10'. It will limit the number of processes started
> to 10; this seems to be adequate to keep my PPro200 busy. Specifying
> no number is almost equivalent to a fork bomb on some of the linux
> source directories. People with lots of RAM can get away with it.

I got that far before reading this mail by issuing "make -j 4 zImage".
thrashing? yeah....

> This cures the symptom, but it leaves the question: why does linux
> behave poorly in this situation?

I don't quite follow what you mean by "poor behavior", but linux definitely
have a problem handling workload such as this - it can be as simple as
the process table was filled since during the compilation I saw about
2000 processes were forked/exited before the reboot.

Sang