Re: my broken TCP is faster on broken networks [Re: Very poorTCP/SACK performance]

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:59:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, jamal wrote:

> Andrea,
>
> It is extremely rude to make suggestions on how to break TCPs
> net-friendliness. I dont see the hack value in it; neither does
> it prove anything smart on your part. Infact i dont think what you are
> suggesting will improve anything.
>
> The net at large is a social phenomen based on both anarchy and
> coopeartion. You dont go around spamming people, you dont
> post in the wrong newsgroups and you dont use an unfriendly TCP.
> [of course once in a while you see some smart-ass announcing a faster
> TCP which doesnt conform to the backoffs]
> Lets keep it that way.
>
> cheers
> jamal

If some vendors announce this, then you get backbone providers to annouce
that traffic from these stacks will be droped from the network. If one
person does it, it's not a big deal and if alot do it, then something can
be done about it..

Dont Panic...