Re: my broken TCP is faster on broken networks

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:05:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

> > Http is misdesigned. It should have been impliempted on top of UDP with
> > approiate application measures of congestion control and data integreys.
>
> No. It makes no sense to implement anything like HTTP on the top of UDP
> as you would run to at least as bad congestion control problems as for TCP,
> but since people writing web browser are usually much less experienced than
> people writing network stacks, the congestion control mechanism would be
> probably implemented very poorly, leading to even worse congestion problems.

This is not really a valid argument. Just because the people making web
browsers are stupid doesn't mean that the technically sound solution isn't
to use UDP. Someone could write a LGPLed libuhttp.so

> The right answer is that HTTP should have supported persistent connections
> since version -1.-1 and all browsers should use that.

Yes, they should. But they dont seem to. I hit Apache 1.3 sites with
Netscape 4.5b and see multiple TCP connects.