Re: APM and PCMCIA issue?

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 13:51:37 +0200

On Sat, Sep 12, 1998 at 01:15:10PM -0400, Seth M. Landsman wrote:

> So the hardware in question is a gateway 2300LS with 64M of RAM, a
> PCMCIA modem (using self-compiled pcmcia utilities 3.05 (or whatever the
> latest is), 2.0.35 kernel with APM in the kernel and an updated debian
> slink system.
> The problem is that my PCMCIA script works 100% when I boot up my
> system. However, after suspending my system, the PPP script freezes upon
> trying to write to /dev/modem. After a reasonable time, /usr/sbin/chat
> returns an error that it cannot write to the device. There are no
> messages in any log file that look relevant. The symlink still exists.
> Ejecting the cards, mucking with cardctl, etc don't do anything useful.
> The behavior is not replicatable under windows95, PPP works fine
> after a suspend.
> rebooting or resetting the machines restores PPP to working order.

There is quite a bit of hardware rsp. driver that doesn't cleanly recover
from a suspend - PCMCIA and other:

- On Hitachi Visionpro 7560 for example the builtin PCnet32 card is
unusable after reboot. Downing and re-ifconfig-uring makes the card
usable.
For kind of case a notification chain which tells the driver ``Hey, we
just got woken up, reset the hardware'' seem to be an apropriate
solution.
- Same laptop - suspending leaves all builtin sound dead until something
``shakes'' the hardware a little bit, for example changing settings
with aumix does that. If the sb driver isn't loaded, sound goodbye.
Module won't load until rebooted with ``kernel: sb: dsp reset failed.''.
Again using a notifer chain plus fixing the dsp reset routine seems
to be a solution.
- Same laptop - processes which have the modem opened need to be restarted.

Ralf