Re: `reboot' videocard?

Gary Simmons (tuxkamen@idirect.com)
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 12:38:18 -0400

--------------49CFEE6336429A5DF21844F6

Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

> Sometimes X crashes for me, and leaves only the image of my X sessions
> left... Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6] doesn't work, and if I log in from another
> computer and start X from there, it starts alright, but when trying
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 (etc), I'll return to the crashed X, and can't get back to
> the running one...
>
> The only way I've been able to fix it is to reboot, but I'd like another
> way... Is there another way to do this?
>
> (Please Cc me any replies on this subject, since the trafic on linux-kernel
> is quite big, and I don't always have time to check it, just catch-up all
> of it...)

I've had the same problem... however with me what happens is it only
crashes like that upon logout...
I can't switch to any VCs with ctrl-alt-Fx, and ctrl-alt-del doesn't
work... and if i start using the Magic
Sysrq key, each try (i.e. alt-sysrq-s) makes the X screen scroll
sideways. It's quite an interesting effect actually
=). I still nevertheless try S U and R... but I have to hit the reboot
button to reboot. However fsck
doesn't detect the file system being "not cleanly unmounted" so perhaps
the S and U are working after all.
Just thought I'd throw in my dillemna =)

--
-Gary Simmons aka Darshu/Rubeus/Tuxedo Kamen | ICQ #4631904
   http://webhome.idirect.com/~tuxkamen	     | tuxkamen@idirect.com

begin: vcard fn: Gary Simmons n: Simmons;Gary adr: ;;;;;;Canada email;internet: tuxkamen@idirect.com x-mozilla-cpt: ;0 x-mozilla-html: FALSE version: 2.1 end: vcard