Re: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 20:54:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Dietmar Kling wrote:
> > maybe this problem is system-dependend (alpha but not i386?) because
> > I had no "re-entering interupt handler" all the time.
>
> No, I've had various x86 reports of the same problem, although they seem
> to be limited to SMP machines.
>
> I don't think it's an SMP issue, though, apart from some obvious things
> that should have been fixed some time ago (ie the use of "tbusy" as a lock
> which needs to use atomic operations).
>
> The fact that it happens on a (UP, I very much assume) alpha too makes it
> sound like a generic driver problem that just happens to trigger more
> easily on SMP in x86 land.

FWIW, on Linux/m68k 2.1.120 the Ariadne ethernet driver (Am79C960 based)
started to dump `Re-entering the interrupt handler' messages too. Makes me
think it's not ia32/AXP/Tulip/SMP related at all.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be