Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux

Jens-Uwe Mager (jum@anubis.han.de)
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:36:48 GMT

In article <mng==35FC08B3.576A86DF@his.com>, feuer@his.com wrote:

> I thought this kind of thing was what we were talking about.....  What is a
> resource fork?

A resource fork is just another file stream on Macs, it is just that there
is a subroutine library available to applications to impose a well known
structure onto it. Certain OS libraries expect templates with certain
known formats for user interface elements in this resource fork structure.
Earlier (e.g 68k Macs) also stored code segments there, but nowadays most
code fragments reside in the data fork as one would expect with other
OS's.

But resource forks have some nice attributes for programs on MacOS. For
example as the resource fork is inseperable from the data fork, you can be
sure that is around if you need it. The OS also opens it for you at
program execution time, so it is just one library call to extract some
structure from it.

It actually inspired me to use a similar mechanism on my Unix programs,
although I just append my resources to the executable file due to the lack
of multiple data streams. But it is still inseperable from the executable,
not just a bunch of small files lying around in some unrelated lib
directory.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager <pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>