Re: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:24:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, David S. Miller wrote:
> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 12:27:43 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
>
> David, did any of the 2.1.120 patches change the way how the
> downcalls into the network drivers were done? I notice that some
> irq disables were changed into "bh_atomic()" calls instead, and
> that might certainly have changed timings quite a lot. And maybe
> one of them really was interrupt- critial rather than bh-critical
> (sounds unlikely, as almost everything happens in bh's, and almost
> nothing happens in interrupts)?
>
> Short summary: Some broken drivers need to be fixed, and the 2.1.120
> changes only made the bugs more visible.
>
> What I now think what was happening is that many drivers were getting
> away with murder in their transmit routines, and the 2.1.120 patches
> finally brought this to light.

Can I assume sunlance.c is clean? If yes, I'll use it to update ariadne.c.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be