Re: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!

Anders Melchiorsen (postmaster@and.nospam.kampsax.k-net.dk)
14 Sep 1998 14:17:43 +0200

hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin) writes:

> In all seriousness, with the processing speed of modern CPUs it
> probably would be a no-brainer to support data storage to tape. In
> fact, it really isn't very different from the "sound card modem"
> stuff (tape adds some funky failure modes that phone lines don't have,
> but that can probably be ignored. Of course, all error-correction has
> to be forward error correction, since it isn't possible to get
> feedback from the receiver. Hmm... if nothing else, this just might
> have enough hack value for someone to do it "just because".)

How much data would an audio tape be able to carry? Are we talking a
few hundred kilobytes or are we in the megabyte range?

--
Regards, Anders
(address is valid)

The pet principle: No matter which side of the door the cat or dog is on, it's the wrong side.