Re: my broken TCP is faster on broken networks

Vlad Lungu (vlad@rls.roknet.ro)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:34:46 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Majdi Abbas wrote:

> > It seems people from Netscape should read the RFC's...
> >
> > RFC 2068 (HTTP/1.1) explicitly says:
> >
> > Clients that use persistent connections SHOULD limit the number of
> > simultaneous connections that they maintain to a given server. A
> > single-user client SHOULD maintain AT MOST 2 connections with any
> > server or proxy. A proxy SHOULD use up to 2*N connections to another
> > server or proxy, where N is the number of simultaneously active
> > users. These guidelines are intended to improve HTTP response times
> > and avoid congestion of the Internet or other networks.
>
> HTTP/1.1 didn't exist when that implementation was written.
>
> Before you criticise anyone else, do keep some historical
> perspective.
It seems that they still comply with the RFC. "It SHOULD" means that it is
recommended, but not mandatory, as in "it MUST". Nearly all the RFC's
define those terms at the beginning.
Vlad