Re: Bug in mounting routines of atapi-cdroms

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:52:34 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Guest section DW wrote:

> This may or may not be related to the atapi problems,
> but in the scsi case certain cdrom drives will hang forever
> on an open because the cdrom.c routine tries to do a
> close door, which fails (in my case because there is no door).

This is bacause (at least for ATAPI) there is no way to tell if the
drive has a slot that can be opened and closed. My NEC-251 cd changer
has the same problem (it cant close the door becasue it has no way to
mysteriously pull in the cd. But ATAPI has no way to tell cdrom.c that,
and I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that SCSI is similar(???). I handle it by
letting you put "options cdrom autoclose=0" in you /etc/conf.modules file.
If you know of a better way to handle it (i.e. a way for the low-level cdrom
drivers to detect this case so cdrom.c can handle it), I am open to
suggestions. Granted, I havn't worried too much about it thus far...

As for hanging forever, that is a real problem. On my changer, the drive
only displays an error (Sorry, I cant do that), and everything proceeds as
normal. If it hangs forever, I suspect that the problem lies in the SCSI
layer, since it works just fine when this happens with ide-cd.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org