Re: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 03:05:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> This is very unrealistic. There is FAR too much noise then this. I'd say
> that it would be at best 1/4 this.

The spec I gave - 320x200x8 at 15 frames per second - is the resolution of
an old Fisher-Price video recorder that recorded on audio tapes. NTSC
resolution is nominally ~640x~484x~18bpp(1) at 30 frames per second so my
original estimate was allowing for more than a 16x degradation in quality,
or looked at another way 16:1 ECC. VHS is bad, but not so bad that that
wouldn't work.

(1) Because the signal is analog, the horizontal resolution is poorly
defined, but 640 is pretty close to the pixel size determined by camera
CCDs, line filters, shadow masks, etc.. The number of lines is also rather
strangely defined. And of course, the chrominance is lower frequency
than the luminance, which means color depth is poorly defined, but I've
seen this 18 bit approximation in a few places.