Re: Frame buffer device thinkings...

Jan Vroonhof (vroonhof@math.ethz.ch)
15 Sep 1998 15:55:51 +0200

Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:

> Since the kernel can't change the video mode anymore, the video mode
> has to be the same for all VCs associated with one video board, so
> it has to change for all VCs at once (can be done by fbmem.c). I
> think that's acceptable.

Unless I am being dense I would think this would not be so acceptable.
Most of them would typically be in the same mode I agree. But even for
the case where you have just one X server running on one VC and the
rest text I would expect the text ones to run in an other mode as the
lower resolutions are typically better at displaying readable text.

Let alone if you were running an X server at 1600x?x16, some text
consoles at 80x25 chars and a fb game at 640x480x16.

Just my $0.02

Jan

P.S. Of course if you want you could by with being able to scale text
so it worked at any resolution and require graphics apps to reset the
mode to whatever they want to be in the user swatches back to the VC.