Re: egcs-1.1 (was 2.0.36-pre9

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:15:58 +0200

On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 02:05:40PM -0300, Garst R. Reese wrote:
> Florian La Roche <florian@suse.de> wrote:
> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:04:25 +0200
> Subject: 2.0.36-pre9
>
> > I am not so pleased with Alan blocking all egcs-related patches from kernel
> > 2.0.x. I am using development snatshopts and now egcs 1.1 on many machines
> > and haven't had any failure that could be blamed on egcs (having the known
> > kernel-bugs fixed of course).
> Try compiling some C++ apps like LyX-12.1pre8 with egcs-1.1. It seems
> rather badly broken.
> Compiling a kernel is not much of a test to make recommendations on.

I think it's easier to prevent people from compiling their 2.0.x kernel with
anything newer than 2.7.2.3 than fixing all kernel bugs which show up with
gcc-2.8.x/egcs.
Alans knows that it would be very hard to fix all bugs, as there showed up
quite a lot in 2.1.xxx and were fixed there. Maybe he will accept a patchset
which fixes most of them, but I think he will certainly not accept fixes for
a single occurence of the bug.

--
Kurt Garloff, Dortmund
<K.Garloff@ping.de>