Re: RTO [was Re: my broken TCP is faster on broken networks [Re: Very poor TCP/SACK performance]]

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:58:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich wrote:

>> Steven's books and the tcp-impl "known TCP implementation problems"
>> draft, amongst other places.

Thanks. I' ll search for the draft (BTW, if anyone has a URL pointer could
save me the time for the search ;-).

>I have no arguments for a certain initial value of RTO.
>If 25/4 of the initial RTT is a design decision rather than a misprint
>I'm quite satisfied.

I suppose David has just confirmed that the rto calc _has_ to be as now
and it' s _not_ a design decision (I suppese he knows well the top of
tcp_input.c and RFCs...). If instead setting rto = 6*rtt would be a design
decision I would to know that to change the code in my own tree (2.0 too)
since _here_ the rto is _the_ issue.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli