Re: Very bad swap bug -- 2.0, 2.1 at least

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:15:35 +0200

On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 09:32:30PM -0700, Simon Kirby wrote:

> >From the tests I did before, it seems what is being "swapped in" is the
> executable code of a program which has been previously swapped out. I had
> a program running that sleep()ed for a few seconds and then ran a small
> main loop (stat()ed a file) -- every time the main loop ran, vmstat would
> show the swap in ("si") number as non-zero. I confirmed this by stracing
> the program and running "vmstat 1" at the same time.
>
> Issuing a "swapoff -a ; swapon -a" causes the program to go away, until
> something else forces some programs out to swap. (In this case, it seems
> to be some customer's run-away CGI script).

If swapoff -a; swapon -a kills your program, you're out of physicak memory.
Then your swapspace is needed and the swapin is just what you should expect.
Or did I miss anything?

--
Kurt Garloff, Dortmund
<K.Garloff@ping.de>