Re: IMPORTANT: SysVinit & umounting

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:50:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Olaf Titz wrote:

> ldd /sbin/init (the old one)
>
> Does it by any accident reference a library which is not on the root FS?
> (E.g. is there /usr/lib/libc.so.5*, or got ld.so.conf messed up?)
> I've had this bite me once. Removing the library at fault
> (/opt/jdk1.1.5/.../libc.so.5... (!)) and ldconfig cured it, but don't
> ask me how I found the problem :-/

No, the older one was linked against libc.so.5 on the root filesystem, but
apparently did work. The newer dynamic version linked against libc.so.6
didn't - leads to a guaranteed fsck EVERY time you reboot. The only sure
way is to build it as a static binary, and your troubles are over.

As someone mentioned privately, it's a good idea to make sure that some
critical files are statically built in case your libc's decides to commit
suicide.

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah 2.1.121 #40 Thu Sep 10 07:26:39 EDT 1998 i486 unknown