Re: IMPORTANT: SysVinit & umounting

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
17 Sep 1998 10:45:26 +0200

In article <Pine.LNX.4.02.9809162247090.1273-100000@tahallah.demon.co.uk>,
Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>As someone mentioned privately, it's a good idea to make sure that some
>critical files are statically built in case your libc's decides to commit
>suicide.

Well, that means /sbin/* and /bin/*. No way on my system.

If the rootfs cannot be unmounted (which is really remounted R/O)
cleanly at shutdown with newer kernels, you should investigate the
reason and fix the bug instead of guessing what is could be and
inventing a workaround.

After the umount -a call in the shutdown scripts, put something like

mount /proc
fuser -vm /

That will tell you exactly which program has what files open on the root fs.

I know that sysvinit has a FIFO opened r/w on the root filesystem,
/dev/initctl. That might very much be the problem. Does a R/W opened
FIFO actually use the disk ? I don't think so under Linux, on older
Unixes it might.

Mike.

--
  "Did I ever tell you about the illusion of free will?"
    -- Sherrif Lucas Buck, ultimate BOFH.