Re: AVL and hash in memory management

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:19:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, David S. Miller wrote:

> It is an interesting data structure, thanks for presenting it.
> But it still has one of the fundamental problems we were trying to
> remove by going to a non-tree mechanism, the balancing cost.

Now that I think of it, is the balancing cost important
in the common case? When we have only 4 to 6 VMAs, we
won't be balancing that much.

And when we have hundreds of VMAs, doesn't the lookup
cost completely dwarf the balancing cost? The benchmarks
we've seen the last few weeks seem to suggest so...

Rik.