Re: IDE CD-ROM error? (Re: 2.1.122 Bugs)

Gary Simmons (tuxkamen@idirect.com)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:26:48 -0400

--------------C1F1880D90C73A46E78BCE09

Erik Andersen wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Gary Simmons wrote:
> >
> [-------snip------]
> > > -If you compile IDE CD-ROM support into the kernel, it doesn't appear to
> > > work, I get a "/dev/cdrom does not appear to
> > > be a block device, try insmod module?" If I compile it as a module it
> > > works fine.
> > > That's all for now =))
> >
> > Explain in detail what is not happening, since Erik A. and I are
> > interested.
> >
> > Erik, have you observed this problem.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andre
> >

> Hmm. I almost never compile cdrom support into the kernel, so I don't know.
> I give it a shot and see if I can duplicate the problem.
>
> -Erik

Well I don't either, it was just a typo which caused me to notice when I
tried to mount. Basically all that there was to it is it said it
couldn't recognize the CD-ROM as a block device. I have a Matsushita
CR-585, 24X... That prompted me to look
back at my kernel config because I thought I hadn't included CDROM
support. But sure enough it was there, listed
as compiled into kernel, but as a module it worked fine.

--
-Gary Simmons aka Darshu/Rubeus/Tuxedo Kamen | ICQ #4631904
   http://webhome.idirect.com/~tuxkamen	     | tuxkamen@idirect.com

begin: vcard fn: Gary Simmons n: Simmons;Gary adr: ;;;;;;Canada email;internet: tuxkamen@idirect.com x-mozilla-cpt: ;0 x-mozilla-html: FALSE version: 2.1 end: vcard