Re: 2.1.122 is confused with two ide controllers

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@astro.dyer.vanderbilt.edu)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:22:06 -0500 (CDT)

The latest patch for IDE is my part.

Try adding to you append line "pci=reverse"

I am courious of the onboard chipset for the IDE controller.
What is the bus number.

This is a quick fix to get you straight.

{DEVID_PDC20246,"PDC20246", NULL, {{0x50,0x02,0x02},
{0x50,0x04,0x04}}, 0x01, 16 },
^^^^

If you want to default to your onboard chipset, change the carrot marked
line in ide-pci.c to 0x00

This change was to allow offboard PCI cards to be bootable.

You are the first to report another chipset that has a high bus number
than the pci slots. I know of only one other chipset that does this also.
However, it is an old UMC 486 chipset board.

I will make another config flag that allow one to select between booting
of the onboard and offboard chipset for priority in getting the rights
to ide0 and ide1.

I will post a patch by morning for 2.1.123.

The reason behind the change in boot order is to allow people to use UDMA
devices on older PIIX3 (non-umda mainboards). The second need is for
a clean addition of passive offboard chipsets. I never want them to ever
get access to ide0 and/or ide1 for the very reason that you are having a
problem with.

If by chance your 2.1.121 hda/hdb drives are UDMA and the onboard chipset
is not, you can safely switch the cables to the promise controller.

Regards,
Andre Hedrick