Re: Lazy atime mount option?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 07:57:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, The Doctor What wrote:

> I have a laptop, and to speed it up and prevent the update daemon from
> writing the HD, I have used the "noatime" mount option. However, what I'd
> really like is a "lazyatime" write feature:
>
> Can someone tell me if this is possible? or would this require major
> poking at the cache/buffer code?

It should be possible, it has been discussed before and
nobody has gotten around to coding it...

The previous times we discussed this, we had bugfixes and
other stuff to worry about, but now that most of the system
seems stable, there might be someone who's able to code
this. OTOH, schools and universities all over the world
have started again...

Rik.