Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:21:41 -0500

Hello;

There are basically only two ways this UDI scenario can work.

1. All the commercial backers of it, switch to using Linux for their OS
and they just build hardware, or in SCO's case additional software
add-ons.

2. SCO releases all UNIX source code under the GNU GPL, HP releases all
sources code of HP-UX, Sun releases all source code for SunOS and
Solaris.
You might as well ask Apple to release all the source code to
NextStep/OpenStep/
Rhapsody.

Personally I would prefer the first choice.

A more radical move would be for SCO to:

1. Give, with no strings attached, the UNIX source code to FSF aka RMS.
2. Give, with no strings attached, the UNIX source code to Linux
International.

Any of the above scenarios would surely have major impacts on Microsoft,
and Bill Gates.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt and all the milk has turned and Captain Crunch is waving farewell when the Big One finds you may this song remind you that they don't serve breakfast in hell ==Breakfast==Newsboys