Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:13:37 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > The other obvious reason that SCO wants UDI to succeed is that Linux
> > has tonnes of drivers and SCO does not, and SCO wants to invent some
> > plausible way of leeching off the Linux drivers.
>
> Even with UDI, SCO can not use Linux drivers: linux drivers _have to_
> be GPL in order to link with kernel. And unless SCO is going GPL, they
> can not link with GPL code... (Unless they find way to insert GPL code
> as a module - that might be legal.)
>
> Pavel

Two issues though:
1) Why can't BSD, NPL, Artistic, and other free code be linked
with the kernel? As I read the GPL, this isn't a problem, and
unless I am mistaken, there are a number of linux drivers that have
made use of *BSD code, which is not GPL. I think you are mistaken
in your statement.

2) It is reasonable to consider a device driver running under a UDI layer
as an "independent and separate works in themselves", and in that context,
there is no problem using it under a non-free OS. It is just a program
that runs on the OS (in kernel space), and as such it is no different
then running gcc under SCO or solaris, etc. Not a problem, as long as
they also distribute (or point to) the source.
Remember, "mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
the scope of this License." If we write it, they can ship it -- but it
will be free, and can be fixed.

I say we have everything to gain by supporting this, and little to lose.
We get binary only drivers for unsupported devices, and then when we get a
free driver that is better written, everyone will use it because of the
inherent advantages of a free driver.

At least that is how I read things. TRMV (Your Reading May Vary),

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org