Re: G100 driver ...

Riccardo Facchetti (fizban@tin.it)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:33:52 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Harvey Fishman wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Davide Libenzi wrote:
>
> > Is ther anybody working on Matrox G100 ( Productiva ) driver for linux ?
> >
> > What is the development status ?
> >
> > If nobody is working on, Is there anybody that can let me know where to find
> > Matrox G100 datasheet ?
>
> Why on earth does Linux need a Matrox G100 driver? Linux is a text mode
> thingie. XWindows or SVGA or other application software may require a
> driver, but not Linux. My Productiva works fine with Linux.

Hmm ... this days of "framebuffer console" I think this is not
completely true any more. Yes, Linux can still do simple VGA console but
I've heard just yersterday that there is a matroxfb with matrox specific
accelerations.

> In any case, Matrox claims that there is one universal driver for ALL of
> their display adapters. So if there is any Matrox driver for the app of
> your choice, you might try it.

No. This is definitely not true. Yes, matrox have published on the net a
series of "unified drivers" but that unified IMHO means just "archived
into one single ZIP file". In fact in the last (v.343) BIOS update, you
can find a series of 10 .BIN files. Every BIN file is a BIOS update for a
specific matrox product.

Similarly I suspect the NT 4 unified driver just read the kind of video
hardware is installed on the machine and act accordingly:
Matrox mystique/millenium/g100/g200 have different properties so every
product must be managed for what it can do and what it can't.

Ciao,
Riccardo.