Re: EPOX and VIA

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@astro.dyer.vanderbilt.edu)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 15:43:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Eric Princen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is anybody out there using an EPOX EP-51MVP3E-M ATX board with a K6-300
> competely happily? Are there any problems with the VIA MVP3 that have been
> noted? I am having a few oddities with my new system, but nothing I'd call
> a show stopper. My PCNet32 does not seem to like it, and my S3 Virge-DX has
> been seen dropping pixels (I swapped it out with another one and see the
> same problem.) Only the PCI cards seem to be acting oddly, which is why I
> asked about the VIA MVP3.

This should be correctly supported as of 2.1.122 with the addition if
via82c586.c code for setting chipset timing controls. You must
enable this in the configure process. This is considered EXPERIMENTAL
do to all of the earlier VIA chipset through the present use the same
ID codes for the IDE controller. This directly implies that earlier
that VP3 and MVP3 boards may not except these settings. The bigger task
related to this chipset is to pre-detect the revision and provide
work-arounds as avaliable.

2.0.35 requires the addition of Jumbo9 to get this new support.

> Any info would be great. It's a pitty to have a machine with such
> horsepower and 128Meg of 100Mhz memory and not be completely happy with it.

Cheers,
AMH