Re: egcs-1.1 (was 2.0.36-pre9

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:22:08 +0200

On Thu, Sep 17, 1998 at 08:05:36AM -0400, Alex Buell wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:
>
> > gcc 2.8.1 doesn't have this problem as far as I can tell. Perhaps you
> > should use this.
>
> I happen to disagree. The more we use egcs, and report more problems, the
> better these will get fixed, and we get a world-class compiler.
>
> egcs properly supports namespaces (*and* complies more with the ANSI
> C++ standard) whilst gcc-2.8.1 does not.

I also prefer egcs, because
* its compliance with the C++ std is better
* syntax checking is much better
* I believe in the bazar method
* gcc-2.8.x would not have been released yet, if there was not the egcs
project ...

Compilation speed and memory usage is really my only concern. (Well, on some
platforms, the produced code could be better ... )

--
Kurt Garloff, Dortmund
<K.Garloff@ping.de>