Re: UDI issues

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:46:51 +1000

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 18:59:53 -0700,
"Slyglif Cain" <slyglif@magerealm.com> wrote:
>Could someone please explain to me why there would be an issue with
>UDI and Linux? It is my understanding that UDI would be a public spec
>(which anyone could code to). If it is a public spec, Then Linux
>would just have to implement the interface to this spec (as would
>everyone else), and then any drivers coded to it could be loaded into
>the kernel.

Leaving aside the licence question (everyone's a lawyer), UDI makes it
easier for hardware people to release binary only drivers.

Do you feel comfortable using a binary only UDI driver for your ACME
Wil-e-Coyote network card? What happens when there is a bug in the
driver? Can you get support in a reasonable time at a reasonable
price? What happens when ACME go out of business? Or would you rather
have Donald Becker's driver for the same card complete with source
code? UDI will make it harder to get specs on hardware, not easier.
UDI will leave us hostage to hardware suppliers.

The sensible suppliers have already released their specs. For them and
us, UDI is a winner. For suppliers who want to keep their interfaces
secret, they win, we lose.