Re: UDI issues

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 23:58:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Keith Owens wrote:

> Leaving aside the licence question (everyone's a lawyer), UDI makes it
> easier for hardware people to release binary only drivers.
>
> Do you feel comfortable using a binary only UDI driver for your ACME
> Wil-e-Coyote network card? What happens when there is a bug in the
> driver? Can you get support in a reasonable time at a reasonable
> price? What happens when ACME go out of business? Or would you rather
> have Donald Becker's driver for the same card complete with source
> code? UDI will make it harder to get specs on hardware, not easier.
> UDI will leave us hostage to hardware suppliers.

Honestly what diffrence does it make ? We will still have our own drivers
either way.

> The sensible suppliers have already released their specs. For them and
> us, UDI is a winner. For suppliers who want to keep their interfaces
> secret, they win, we lose.

*bzzt*
They win anyways... why ? Bacause they don't have to care about us. It's
easy to make it rich just on MS operating systems. This offers us the
backing of commercial unix vendors, and offers the commercial usix vendors
the ability to use linux 7.5 million users as clout when they ask for
drivers. Were not "corporate" enough and their userbase is too small to
get a responce.

This isn't us vs the other Unix people.
This isn't us vs the harware maufacturers.
This is us vs Microsoft...
SCO, Sun etc seem to see this, it's time we did too.
I've seen people attacking SCO etc and that's just silly, this move to
unite resources is a good thing.

Honestltly .. What diffrence does it make if we have source for each and
every obscure driver? If the harware maker screws up in the driver it's
their fault, it doen't point to linux at all.
The important thing is to get a descent OS installed by dafault on the PC,
we can hash the rest out later. :)

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack
irc-admin skyline.starchat.net

gmack@imag.net
InnerFIRE@starchat.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.