Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

David Feuer (feuer@his.com)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:34:23 -0400

Erik Corry wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 1998 at 10:31:26PM +0400, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> > In <19980919193105.A22160@arbat.com> Erik Corry (erik@arbat.com) wrote:
> >
> > EC> But you can release a UDI driver simultaneously under two
> > EC> different licenses. So everyone can be happy.
> >
> > Not at all. LGPL will be 100% enough for such purposes.
>
> I see no way of forcing hardware manufacturers to use LGPL.
>
> The only way would seem to be to not put UDI in the official
> kernel, but there are sure to be distributions that put it
> in anyway (Xi graphics will, I would guess) and individuals
> will always be free to do so.

Ummmmm.... That's really easy. 1st case: change the kernel license to
disallow commercial drivers. 2nd case: change the module code to only
load drivers containing the right string in the right place. That
string would of course be a protected certification mark. These are
sort of ugly and rude. Can anyone think of something nicer?

> --
> Erik Corry erik@arbat.com Ceterum censeo, Microsoftem esse delendam!
>
> -

/  David Feuer			\