Re: REQUEST for /proc/cpuinfo copies & a baby bugbear :o(

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 23:39:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Alex Buell wrote:

> I'd be happy if you could email me (privately) with a copy of your
> /proc/cpuinfo for my programming pleasure? Thanks!

OK, I have lots of lovely /proc/cpuinfos to test with now, and I am bloody
grateful that most of you found the time to do this. Thanks once again,
initial results are quite promising.

But now, I have noticed that the /proc/cpuinfo varies between different
architectures (especially Amigas/Sparcs and Alphas)

Could we *try* and thrash something out so that all architectures have a
similar format and uses same field names that would make it a heck of a
whole easier? We need to make this uniform across all the architectures so
that a program that reads the /proc/cpuinfo will happily parse the file
without having to do some special processing for each different
architecture?

The important items for me personally is that some fields have different
names, (i.e. bogomips, BogoMips, BogoMIPS), or that some have the ':' next
to the field, or with a space before the ':'

For example (from an Amiga 68040)
CPU: 68040
MMU: 68040
FPU: 68040
Clocking: 24.8MHz
BogoMips: 16.58
Calibration: 8294400 loops

And (from a BeBox PPC)
cpu : PowerPC 603 rev 3.2
model : BeBox
bogomips : 43.72
hid0 : 0x0090d000
context switches : 7654713
instruction page faults : 7264014
data page faults : 8699956
cache flushes : 8338032
hardware interrupts : 132916656
TLBIA : 7654713
TLBIE : 30530940
instruction TLB misses : 360295061
data load TLB misses : 1440098578
data store TLB misses : 161411468

And.. (from an Alpha EV54)
cpu : Alpha
cpu model : EV56
cpu variation : 0
cpu revision : 0
cpu serial number : Linux_is_Great!
system type : EB164
system variation : SX164
system revision : 0
system serial number : MILO-0000
cycle frequency [Hz] : 0
timer frequency [Hz] : 1024.00
page size [bytes] : 8192
phys. address bits : 40
max. addr. space # : 127
BogoMIPS : 528.48
kernel unaligned acc : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
user unaligned acc : 0 (pc=0,va=0)

You can see the differences. This needs to be standardised. Opinions or
thoughts please.

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah 2.1.122 #43 Sat Sep 19 10:54:36 EDT 1998 One AMD 486 DX/4 processor, 49.77 total bogomips, 32M RAM