Re: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 23:45:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> For 2.3.x we realistically have to be forwarding packets off
> interrupts, doing intelligent interrupt reduction (something 1Gbit
> cards are actually normally good at without much help) and making
> net_bh a per cpu handler.

Umm. For networking at that speeds, they should have bus mastering
capabilities and the ability to dump packets directly into (or vice versa)
the system's memory without bothering the main processor to do something.
Isn't this what the I20 stuff is for? I feel sorry for my poor machine
just thinking about the poor little processor scurrying its little feet
off on passing these packets around at these speeds. 8)

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah 2.1.122 #43 Sat Sep 19 10:54:36 EDT 1998 One AMD 486 DX/4 processor, 49.77 total bogomips, 32M RAM